All NABCO personnel will be moved to YouStart programme -Oppong Nkrumah [WATCH]
Despite the nation’s economic difficulties, there is some optimism for Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) recipients.
The government aims to transfer NABCO trainees to the yet-to-be-launched YouStart program, according to the information minister.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Probe, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said the action is a viable solution to Ghana’s rising jobless rate.
The government has made it clear that NABCO members would be enrolled in the YouStart program, which is designed to provide them with the funding and technical assistance they need to launch their own enterprises, he added.
The YouStart initiative under the Ghana CARES programme has been introduced to ease constraints for existing and aspiring young entrepreneurs.
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta had earlier stated that empowering the youth who were a driving force for change was a key component of the government’s plan.
He emphasised that the initiative would ensure that skills training becomes much better aligned with the needs of sectors as drivers of future productivity growth and socio-economic transformation.
The trainees for months have complained about non-payment of allowances which has been in arrears for the past seven months.
While admitting that NABCO beneficiaries are struggling to make ends meet, the Ofoase-Ayirebi MP said the Akufo-Addo administration still prioritises youth employment.
He asked for the trainees to cooperate with the government on the initiative.
“I feel the pain of the NABCO beneficiaries which has been occasioned by the limited resources. There are many times I go to my constituency and I have to pay for some of my NABCO people who are helping out in the hospitals just that we are not making noise about it.
“But we feel their pain and our expectation is that the YouStart Programme will be rolled out shortly so that they all can be moved onto it,” he said on Sunday.