NABCO: Amaliba accuses govt of deception
Director of Legal Affairs for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Abraham Amaliba has charged the government of lying surrounding the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) initiative.
He said that trainees were led to assume that after participating in the program, they would be granted permanent positions, but this has not been the case.
This is deceit, he claimed on TV3’s New Day with Johnnie Hughes on Friday, September 2.
Mr Amaliba requested that the government refund the arrears and apologize to the trainees for the delay in payment.
“Pay them for the eleven months in arrears and apologize to them at the end of the day,” he stated.
Kamal Deem Abdullai, a Deputy Communications Officer for the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), also stated that NABCO has the right to claim what is owed to them in terms of arrears.
In his opinion, they have the right to seek payment even if they are just owing one month.
“I put myself in their position and empathize with them; they have the right to demand that the government compensate them, and the government must do the right thing,” he also stated on the New Day show.
He further indicated that the government had a good intentions for introducing the programme.
“They should also understand that it was for the good intention that the government of the NPP brought the NABCO initiative,” Kamal said.
The initiative came to an end on Thursday, September 1, 2022.
This was announced earlier by Finance Minister Ken OPfori Atta.
Presenting the 2022 budget statement to Parliament on July 25, Mr Ofori-Atta said “Mr. Speaker, our iconic Nation Builder’s Corps (NaBCo) programme, which was initially to run for three years and extended for an additional year, will be completed by 1st September 2022. The programme which engaged 100,000 young graduates has prepared thousands of them for the world of work. So far we have invested approximately GH¢2.2 billion,” the Finance Minister told Parliament.
Mr Ofori-Atta added that “As they exit, the current cohort on the programme are encouraged to take advantage of the YouStart initiative and other existing programmes in our drive to build an entrepreneurial nation.”
Kamal Deen further indicated that the government has no apology to render for ending the programme.
“Let us come and apologize sincerely to them for the non-payment of the salaries but government owes no one apology for ending the programme,” he said.