STATEMENT: No Special Duty Allowances, no accounts validation – CAGD staff bare teeth
The Controller and Accountant General’s Department (CAGD) officials around the nation are threatening to suspend validation services for public sector workers due to unpaid Special Duty Allowances (SDA) and other administrative concerns.
They have also threatened to boycott the production of the Consolidated Fund’s third-quarter national accounts.
They claim that their action was necessitated by delays in the payment of their allowances.
The crew is also seeking that their maintenance allowances for 2021 and the first, second, and third quarters of 2022 be paid without further delay, according to a petition seen by Citi News.
As a result, they are demanding that management rectify these flaws within fourteen days or face their wrath.
Below is the full petition:
11th October, 2022
The Controller and Acc. General
PETITION FROM CAGD STAFF
We, the staff of CAGD across the Sixteen Regions of Ghana hereby call upon you and your leadership to address the following issues bordering us, with immediate effect:
1. 2021 SDA be paid immediately and that of 2022 be paid by the end of the year whiles subsequent SDAs be consolidated into our monthly salaries. This has become necessary following delays in payment of the allowance at every year-end, an allowance that used to be part of staff salaries in the past.
2. Vehicle or Car Maintenance Allowances for 2021 and 1st, the 2nd, and 3rd quarters of 2022 should, as a matter of urgency, be paid without further delay.
3. That your leadership initiate steps to prepare and implement better salary structure compared to that enjoyed by our ‘sister’ Departments for all staff of the department. Besides ensuring efficient disbursements of public funds, the Department also withhold and pay taxes into the consolidated fund.
4. Steps should be initiated to make the department either a Service or Authority. This will enable the Department to ensure professionalism without undue interference.
5. Transfer or posting grant for all CAGD staff be borne by the department henceforth.
6. Regional directors and finance officers be given vehicles and resourced to discharge their duties effectively.
7. Management should see to the formation of a vibrant labour union for all staff of the department. This will put to rest, the perceived sabotage by CLOGSAG so far as our SDA is concerned.
8. There should be quarterly and timely GoG releases to all Finance Units of the District Assemblies as it’s being done for other Departments.
9. Delayed releases to CAGD Regional Directorates should be addressed and the amount increased to enhance smooth administration of these offices.
10. Chief Accountants of the Department be placed on level 23 and ACAG moved to level 24
11. All staff due for promotions should be invited for promotion immediately
Our petition has become necessary following the worsening conditions of all CAGD staff and failure on the part of leadership to prioritize our welfare. We are by this calling on management to address these issues within fourteen days failure of which we will advise ourselves including abstinence from the forthcoming production of 3rd quarter national accounts of the Consolidated Fund.
NO SDA, NO ACCOUNTS VALIDATION EXERCISE!!!
1. Director of Admin, CAGD
2. National Account Directorate, CAGD
3. All Regional Directorates, CAGD